Friday, December 5, 2008

Blog #1 12.05.08

Chapter 36: Common Threads in Comm Theories

While reading the Motivation Thread, I really was able to connect with the NEED FOR CONTROL.
It says that “The excessive need for control exhibited by powerful group and organizational leaders is what makes critical theories necessary” in reference to Deetz’ theory. (473)Furthermore, in muted group theory Kramarae discusses how men are muting women through language and its rules.
The reason I feel so connected to this thread has to do with my employer. I don’t feel as though I am being micro-managed, or that someone is trying to control me necessarily. I feel that due to the loss of our branch manager, a lot of the employees have lost their approval limits and authority for transactions. In a bank this is a big deal, especially when it comes to customer issues and their resolutions.
Our District Manager has decided to attempt to micro-manage the branch until we can find a new branch manager. It is obvious to everyone that she doesn’t trust our decision making based on her actions. She has taken away authority and made it mandatory that she be called or email before proceeding with any approval. It is going to be an interesting 2 weeks, or possibly more. I know that patience and communication are key to success in this situation. A positive way to look at this situation is that while the District Manager is in the branch and making so much contact with us, it presents a great opportunity to stand out and be a star. I hope that I can prove that I am self motivated and make good business decisions.

2 comments:

DJ Q said...

Have you ever wondered what your work would do without you? Or how about asking yourself the same question and knowing the answer to that question? I know if I told my work that I was quitting they would freak out. Not to brag, but everyone knows that I'm the best at what I do. I train others to do what I do but no one even comes close to what I can do. I think its ok to know that you are good at your job. If you look at it, whoever holds the knowledge and skills holds the power. If I left my job, the department would probably fall to pieces for a while. I will give the benefit of the doubt because I have worked with some new people that show some promise. Sorry if I sound like I am venting. Just another crazy day at work, which got me thinking.

Professor Cyborg said...

Good application of communication theories to your own situation at work. Considering several theories of motivation gives you insight into what may be going on and helps you respond in a more informed way. I don't envy you your position, though. Change in organizations is always difficult. Branch managers play a key role in a bank's hierarchy. I agree that patience is essential as well as presenting yourself as reliable, competent, and motivated. You do have a great opportunity here, but it's not going to be an easy time as the branch deals with a new manager.