Friday, November 14, 2008

Blog #1 11.14.08

Muted Group Theory:
I first thought: "how interesting." I never considered women in cartoons and what the illustrator was portraying women to to say and do. The results of the research were surprising.
I don't consider women to be a muted group. As we saw with the political elections two women representing both sides of the isle running for President as well as Vice President. I know I shouldn't base my entire view on one arena, but I feel like the politicians represent the majority of the people they represent, whether that be a woman, an African American, or Homosexual... and so on. The people would not elect the individual if they didn't feel that he or she would represent their values, beliefs and opinions.
When Kramarae talked about masculine language, I could totally agree with that. A lot of the language we use today, especially the metaphors used are very masculine. I dont see our language as being balanced between men and women.

2 comments:

marikamania said...

I never really thought of women being portrayed in cartoons either until I read the chapter and started thinking about it. It just goes to show that children are learning the roles of men and women at an early age. Gender really is taught, children see how boys and girls are supposed to act and they emulate that. I am unsure if I really consider women a muted group, I to some extent agree with this assessment but I think it is an exagguration. I am a women and I don't feel that I get any less respect then men in most situations I am in. I do think that men tend to get more respect at my workplace .

pirateprincess said...

I have to agree with you, I don't think women as a whole are a muted group. I think there are groups of women who are muted but not all of us collectively as a group. However, think back to the debate between Sarah Palin and Joe Biden. Biden was warned not to be "too hard" on Palin because she is a woman and it would look bad. No matter how powerful, women still must play in a man's world. When it comes to language, it is definitely not balanced between men and women. Changing the terms would be difficult though, so I'm not sure how we wille ever be rid of derogatory terms for women.