Saturday, September 20, 2008

Blog #2 9.20.08

Closeness Through Self-Disclosure (Chapter 9)

Self-Disclosure:
“The voluntary sharing of personal history, preferences, attitudes, feelings, values, secrets, etc., with another person; transparency.” (114)

This section of Chapter 9 really hit home for me. I work full-time in sales and have for a few different companies. One of the major aspects of sales is the ability to ask open ended questions and “dig” deep in subjects regarding the person you are selling to. The term that I have heard over and over again in sales training has always been: “Peel the onion!” By saying this, sales facilitators and trainers are trying to get their sales staff to KNOW the client, not just the products. If I am able to peel the onion of my customer, then I am able to find out needs and goals for their business or personal life, that I may be able to sell them from my product menu.
After reading and understanding it from the text it allows me to take a step back and re-evaluate my sales approach. I need to remember and realize that I am digging into an intimate part of someone’s lives and business. It is best for me to tread lightly until that trust is established. I think by understanding self-disclosure I can become a better sales person.

2 comments:

DJ Q said...

I know what you mean. I am somewhat of a sales person myself and I always ask open ended questions especially when the other person asks a specific question. I always present the option of letting them think about what they want. I don't want it to get complicated for them so I just give a brief descrtption about what they are looking at. If they don't have any more questions I just let them know that they can ask me whatever they want and I go back to what I was doing.

Professor Cyborg said...

What's interesting about the sales relationship is that it's one-sided: the salesperson (you) knows (or should know) a lot about the customer, but the customer knows little about the salesperson. The smart customer, however, will try to balance out the relationship. Knowing more about the salesperson will give the customer insight into the salesperson's strategies and help the customer form counterarguments.