Saturday, October 25, 2008

Blog #1 10.25.08

Chapter 24: Media Ecology

When reading chapter 24 in "The Age of Literacy..." section, I was really impacted by the final sentence of the section. The statement says:

"When oppressed people learned to read, they became independent thinkers." (316)

I think this is so true. Initially I thought of women and African-Americans. There have been times where these groups could not read or were not allowed to be educated, but when they started to read and have an understanding, they were set free. Not entirely at first, but I truly believe it was a major step in achieving freedom.
It has obviously allowed these two groups, once looked upon as a lesser race or being, whom now make up 50% of our presidential candidates. I cant help but be excited for this election, because either way, the once minority group will be on a major political platform making decisions and representing our country whom finally finds comfort in a non-white male to be the president, and a female to be our vice-president.
These are exciting times, and I am so proud to be a part of them.

1 comment:

Professor Cyborg said...

At times in U.S. history it was illegal to teach African Americans to read. For women, the thinking was that they didn't need to learn how to read. As you point out, not reaching kept both groups oppressed for many years. Reading frees the mind and allows individuals to share ideas with others who aren't necessarily in close proximity. Although much is made of the importance of the oral tradition, reading provides an avenue to learn about so many new and different ideas from people who aren't in our immediate group. I always have at least one book I'm reading and one on my nightstand that's next on my list. I always have a book or two with me when I travel.