Saturday, October 25, 2008

Blog #2 10.25.08

Chapter 24: Media Ecology
I really appreciated the analysis of Al Gore's inconvenient truth at the opening of chapter 24. I worked in Media Sales for a few years, and we analysed the movie An Inconvenient Truth and its effects on people.
It is so amazing to me how media can mold an entire generation. When I was growing up, everyone was scared of AIDS. While it is still important to protect yourself as much as possible from contracting AIDS, I don't see the same amount of media hype on it as when I was in elementary school.
Now that this generation is seeing its parents and grandparents stress out about the environment and our effects on it, I wonder how these children growing up might be scared that they wont have a planet to live on if everyone doesn't start doing their part.
In the diagram on page 315, it correlates the dominant sense receptor in humans based on the technological development of the time, I can help but wonder if post electronic age, a cartoon of stress and anxiety will be added to the diagram based on the medias effects on the general public.

No comments: