Saturday, November 1, 2008

Blog #1 11.01.08

Chapter 28: Agenda Setting Theory
What a great chapter for the times we are in!
I often wonder how a person can even make it into office if the media is not on their side. Like Obama for example with all of the help he is getting in this election. This was a great theory for me to consider because it is based on whether the media effects the people's agendas or the people effect the media's agendas. The quote that stood out for me was on page 363: "people are not automatons waiting to be programmed by the news media."

This made me really take a step back and think about how I felt about Obama and the media's support. I also thought about the props in this election. People want to know what the candidates beliefs and plans are, and they want to know what the props are really about. Should we rely on media or do our own research? I think the majority of research we would be doing would be sources of news media, but if we use our discretion we should be able to find some facts.

1 comment:

Brooke School said...

the media has helped Barack Obama's campaign. Even Saturday night live has hinted that he is the favorite candidate, while they make John McCain to be a crotchety old man. I am undecided right now on who to vote for only because I think the reason why I am leaning toward Obama is because the media has dubbed him as the "cooler" candidate.